Thursday, February 10, 2011

Intestinal freedom

I was unable to blog until now due to a prolonged episode of "intestinal freedom" with fever and generally feeling terrible. I think I have it narrowed down to either malaria or salmonella. Either way, I don't recommend it. I had felt a bit improved yesterday afternoon so decided to walk the 15 minutes to the school where the children attend. Kenyan public schools are performing poorly, so the solution from the government was to lengthen the hours. The children attend from 6am to 5pm and 7 days per week. No kidding! The class sizes are up to 60 per room. Cruel and unusual I think to child and teacher. There is no money to hire more teachers. The school itself is fairly nice with 900 kids fro elementary through high. 600 elementary, 300 high. They are still teaching the classic English education such as Shakespeare.
The staff at shangilia have observed the futility of going through high school in that there are few jobs after, and fewer that an education is required. They are considering starting a trade school to address this.
I was pretty wiped out after the scool visit and relapsed with my symptoms. I laid in my bunk all evening. At about 10 pm I heard foot shuffles outside my door and randy asked me to come to the door. Pastor Kefa and all the children were at my door to lay hands, sing a healing song, and to pray. It was beautiful and I couldn't keep my eyes dry. Surprising, I know.
This morning I felt fine. Steph was still bit rough, but was willing, so we ran a clinic finally. We and the team have developed a routine and I think it showed, as we treated 80 folks in half a day. We couldn't do much more due to fatigue.
Im resting now and hoping to visit sara, the child we have sponsored for several years, tomorrow. It so happened that she lives abot 1 or 2 hours by car from here. It will be great if the visit works out.
Thankful for a return to health, I will blog again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, i have been praying for you and will continue to do so. I have had trouble posting from my work account, so trying this one from home. It is a blessing to see God using you so much. I am lifting up your recovery and the fruit of your mission trip. Take Care brother,
    mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful that you are feeling better and back in action. I'm using that kids go to school 11 hrs a day 7 days a week the next time my kids complain. Still praying!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete