Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sara

I met Sara today! It took her a while, but when she released that smile it was worth a trip across the world.
We drove only about an hour from the orphanage on surprisingly well paved roads (built by chinese contractors). The landscape is remarkably like the mountains west of denver, though not as steep. There are large boulders randomly thrown around through the hills.
The Compassion project and Sara's home are both fairly close to the pavement. I was greeted by the 3 full time project staff as well as several board members of the local sponsoring church, and of course little Sara in her yellow Sunday dress. At 10 years old and due to Kenyan tradition, as well as her personality, she was very shy. And due to the short time window and the formal structure of the visit, there was little time to interact directly with her. Despite those diasappointments, I got an awesome chance to know her and her life better. By the end of the time there she was smiling and more relaxed with me. As we dropped her off, I nonverbally asked with my arms open and she gave me a hug and a smile. I watched her happily jog down the road toward home in her dress. I was happy to meet her family and see her tidy hut and small plot of land with several family huts surrounding. It was great to meet her very thankful grandmother who cares for her in the absence of parents. It was good to be able to provide a few weeks of food. It was good to see the work that compassion international does. I will bring video. Thank you Lord for the opportunity to connect with this child who you love more than any of us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment